School campuses in India are reopening after being closed for a long time. A group of educators, health professionals, and parents associated with the Association of Healthcare Providers India (AHPI) and Global Coalition for COVID-19 Medical care (GCCMC) have put together guidelines for each stakeholder involved in the safe reopening of schools.
AHPI represents the majority of healthcare providers in India. GCCMC is a Wipro-enabled platform that brings together medical professionals to share knowledge and best practices in COVID-19 medical care to better clinical outcomes, improve hospital efficiency and coalesce home & hospital care.
The document includes standards, SOPs, and checklists for school personnel, students, parents, and community members and recommendations on:
- Reopening preparations before students arrive
- COVID Safety Task Force/Committee and reviewing safety protocols
- COVID-appropriate behavior for all school employees/staff
- Providing psychosocial support to students
- Informing parents about school’s safety regulations and preventive measures
- Working with parents to educate their kids about hygiene and health
- Recommendations for campus management, toilet and washroom usage rules, particular safety protocols for playgrounds, labs, common areas, cafeterias, and mid-day meal service, and transportation facilities
- Protocols for visitors to the school
- Specific recommendations for special needs schools